Those of you who follow my blog regularly will have noticed that my recent posts have been a little more on the negative side. I’m not ashamed in admitting that things have been tough – The Bloke and I have not been as great with each other as we usually are, the building work still continues, The Bloke’s place of work is going through major changes which has left us questioning potential issues that we haven’t had to consider before, Daisy (the cat) is still a regular (and expensive) visitor to the vets while we are trying to adjust her insulin levels and to top it all off I’ve had an awful bout of flu that has knocked me out for almost a week.
Yesterday I received a comment from somebody who has always been extremely supportive of the blog, in which he listed all the different ways in which I was very lucky. While I reserve the right to use my blog to discuss my feelings, both positive and negative (indeed this was the reason for starting the blog in the first place), he made me think about things in a slightly different way. Yes, things have been tough and will continue to be for some time, but I’ll deal with things as I usually do and eventually things will be fine.
Therefore, today’s post will be about the more positive things in life, and when I am joined by the ‘Black Dog’ in the future I’ll look back at it and use it as a reminder of why I need to rethink my perspective on the situation…
1. My mother has been my rock – I’ve spoken to her almost every day and even though i’m in my 30’s she’s still absolutely the best person to make me feel better and make me laugh. She’s listened, advised, consoled and hugged me when I’ve had a little cry and I don’t think that I could have got through the last few weeks without her. She’s an absolute legend and i’m very lucky.
2. It’s The Bloke’s birthday today. While he’s not a fan of being another year older (he’s a bit of a birthday grinch) I always get very excited as I love shopping for him and watching his face when he opens his presents. This morning was no exception – he’s a total geek and was really pleased with the presents that I’d bought him at the Comic Book shop. I have no interest in comics or memorabilia, but I can quite happily spend hours in them, buying presents for him and the Best Mate, who also has geek tendencies… I’m still feeling rough so we aren’t going out for a meal until Sunday, but that means that I have a beautiful meal to look forward to.
3. My friends. In the last two weeks I’ve had invitations to go to ‘Boot Camp’ fitness sessions, I’ve been told that I’ve got a spa day booked for my birthday next month (thanks MRH), I’ve been invited to a meal and drinks with my favourite girly friends – we’re all teachers that met whilst working at the same school and even though we now work in different places we all keep in touch and meet up several times a year, the Best Mate has been entertaining me with ridiculous texts and rants about his customers at work and my work colleagues (who I consider to be my friends) are a lovely group of people to work with.
4. Daisy is doing well. All the cats are – Wobbly has been my little companion while i’ve been ill and Poppy and Daisy always make me giggle with their antics. I’m really pleased that we seem to finally be getting on track with her insulin levels – you wouldn’t know there was anything wrong with her to look at her, but she is certainly drinking a lot less. She also seems to have developed that ridiculous ‘Puss in Boots’ stare when it’s time to be fed!
5. Singing banana’s make me cry with laughter:
6. I’m on half-term next week. Granted, I’ll be in school for half of it because of vocal workshops that I’m doing with a load of primary children and i’ve got a ton of marking to do, but at least I’ll be able to sleep a little more!
7. The plasterer is hopefully going to come and finish off the kitchen next week. That means we’ll actually be able to move into the house properly and carry out our lives without being surrounded by boxes!!
Not as bad as I thought!! And even more exciting, next month I can start getting into the festive spirit by buying some Christmas presents.
You can also find me on Twitter @suzie81blog. Happy Blogging!