After months of cold and miserable weather it is impossible not to exist in an almost permanent state of hibernation. It has become all too easy to spend my spare time huddled on the couch in a comfy sweater and sweat pants, eating comfort food and watching my favourite TV programmes.
However, with a hint of the onset of spring I decided that now was the time to stand up, brush off the crumbs and get my (considerably larger) self moving.
Here are my top tips for getting motivated.
1. Get up. It may sound rather silly, but until you actually get out of bed or off the couch nothing will happen.
2. Start the day by feeling good. Have a long, hot shower, take the time to iron your clothes and eat a healthy breakfast.
3. Think positive! You may find it useful to repeat a mantra before you begin…
4. Instead of looking at the ‘big picture,’ decide on just a few tasks that you intend to accomplish. Lots of sites advocate writing lists, but I often feel overwhelmed as it becomes evident as to just how much I need to do.
5. Start with the toughest task first. Once you have begun, stick with it until it is finished. It may be boring and frustrating, but the sense of achievement that follows its completion will be worth it.
6. Listen to uplifting music that you truly enjoy. My cleaning routine is often accompanied by 80’s rock songs – I can sing along and enjoy myself and the tasks seem to be over much quicker.
7. Avoid sitting down. Don’t think ‘I’ll just give myself five minutes’ as it is more than likely you will spend the rest of the day that way.
8. Share your plans. By doing this you are making yourself accountable for your intentions and your actions, and it is more likely that you will push yourself. It also may encourage a friend to join you in your task.
9. Once you have started, carry on! I often find that when I am in ‘the zone’ I am capable of completing much more than I initially expected. If your goal is to run, try and run for an extra minute. If your goal is to clean, clean an extra item.
10. Reward yourself! Take a step back, admire your work and be proud. Allow yourself to do something that you enjoy once everything else is finished – this may motivate you towards the end goal.
Do you have any tips for motivating yourself? I’d love to hear them!
You can also find me on Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest @suzie81blog