I move house tomorrow, for the second time in six months. Our last experience was hectic and disorganised and taught us valuable lessons, so I thought I would share with you my top tips for how to move house without getting stressed.
1. De-clutter. We lived in our previous house for four years and during that time we had amassed an enormous amount of stuff that we simply didn’t need. Consequently, when we came to move we were disheartened by the seemingly never-ending amount of rubbish and extra boxes. This time, however, we downsized and were ruthless with our possessions. If I hadn’t watched a film, read a book, played a CD or worn an item of clothing in the last year it was put in a bag and taken to a charity shop. I shredded paperwork that had been filed away for YEARS (I found bills from 2005). As a result we have packed about ten fewer boxes this time around.
2. Approach the packing on a ‘bit by bit’ mentality. If you only have a few weeks to move, as we did, work on a room at a time and get into a routine. Avoid letting it take over your life – an hour of motivated and quick packing each evening and three hours of packing on a Saturday and Sunday morning will still allow you to enjoy the rest of the day. If you have older children, get them involved.
3. Pack your items according to room and label your boxes clearly.
4. Put several changes of clothes, underwear, towels and toiletries in a travel bag, as you would when going on holiday, and keep these with you. This means that you will be able to have a shower the day after the move without scrabbling around in the dark and having to wash your hair with shower gel, as I had to after the last move.
5. Be pro-active. Order a removal firm as early as possible. Inform the companies that supply your utilities of your impending move – some of these can set up a changeover in advance, saving you time when you arrive in your new property.
6. Take up any offers of help. I’m lucky to have really supportive friends, and when one offered to help with the move tomorrow I gladly accepted. The extra pair of hands will make the process much quicker.
8. Try to finish everything a few days before to allow yourself to have a mental and physical break before the move. Reward yourself after the job is done – The Bloke and I will be eating a take-away pizza and watching a film tonight to relax, and then we will go to bed early to make sure that we are as rested as possible for tomorrow.
9. Before the move, attempt to organise the furniture that you want put into each room. Our removal firm is amazing and willing to put boxes in specific rooms. If you are doing the move yourself, take that little bit of time to do this – it may take a little more time at first, but will save you hours in the long run.
10. Moving house is always going to be a busy process. Don’t take your frustrations out on those around you. Smile. Use manners. Keep refreshments out and available – cups of tea and snacks will help to keep everyone’s energy up. Happy removal people and or happy friends = more enjoyable move.
What about you guys? Any packing and organisation tips when moving house?
You can also find me on Twitter and Tumblr @suzie81blog and you can also find me on my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/suzie81speaks, my Pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/suzie81speaks and my instagram page http://www.instagram.com/suzie81speaks