It’s pay day and even though it’s the holidays I had to go into work to do some extra coursework with the students. On the way back I decided to treat myself and stopped at the local McDonald’s, where I promptly ate my food whilst catching up on Twitter and minding my own business. Suddenly something hit me on the back of the head. I turned around to see a child standing there and laughing – he had thrown some of his food at me and seemed to find it hilarious. His mother responded by simply whining at him “Jadeeeeeeen… Don’t dooooo thaaaaaaaat! You’re soooooo nauuuuuuuuuughty!” in a baby voice. I was tempted to stand up, dump the rest of my fries on his head and laugh back, but then I realised that it would have been a complete waste of food, and I hate that.I normally try and put a positive theme into my blog posts, but sometimes things (usually inconsiderate people) really irritate me.
I’m always reminded of the Family Guy episode where Peter hosts a news segment called ‘What Really Grinds My Gears,’ and so for today’s post I am going to do the same.
These are the things that really Grinds My Gears
1. Eating popcorn with open mouths at the cinema.
2. Kicking the seats at the cinema.
3. Allowing children to run around at the cinema.
4. Spitting on the floor, particularly in the spot where I’m just about to walk.
5. Playing music so loudly from their car that it vibrates my whole body and the walls of my house.
6. Standing in front of me when it’s clear I’m looking at something – this applies to the zoo, museums, art galleries and shops.
7. Hitting me in the ankles with pushchairs.
8. Sneezing on the back of my head when I’m on the bus.
9. Weight comparisons.
10. Playing music on public transport – It’s inevitably awful music and I’ve been tempted to play some 80’s rock music in retaliation.
11. Lectures on any form of religion.
12. Making a ‘duck face’ when taking photographs.
13. A complete lack of manners.
14. Only contacting me when somebody wants something.
15. Walking past me and telling me to ‘cheer up’ when I’m minding my own business.
16. Lecturing me on my job.
17. Interrupting me.
20. Animal and child abusers.
22. People telling me how much money they earn.
23. People who feel the world owes them something.
24. Stopping suddenly right in front of me and then tutting at me when I bump into them.
25. Responding to an argument with ‘whatever.’
26. Talking down to someone in a service based job – waitress, barman, fast food restaurant, coffee house…
27. Making assumptions on my personality based on my accent. ( I have a thick northern English accent and some assume that I lack intelligence because of it.)
28. Assuming that accidental eye contact actually means ‘I want to sleep with you.’
30. People who don’t take no for an answer.
32. Borrowing something and not returning it.
33. Dropping litter on the floor.
34. Not picking up dog mess from the street.
35. Allowing a child to throw food and me without correcting it, disciplining it and offering an apology.What about you guys? What really grinds your gears?
You can also find me on Twitter and Tumblr @suzie81blog