The Anti-Flirt Club was an American club that began in Washington, D.C., during the early 1920s. After being subjected to unwelcome attention from men in ‘automobiles and on street corners,’ a group of women, led by President Alice Reighly, formed the club to protect young girls and women from further embarrassment and discomfort. A list of rules were created and issued to all of the members:
1. Don’t flirt: those who flirt in haste oft repent in leisure.
2. Don’t accept rides from flirting motorists—they don’t invite you in to save you a walk.
3. Don’t use your eyes for ogling—they were made for worthier purposes.
4. Don’t go out with men you don’t know—they may be married, and you may be in for a hair-pulling match.
5. Don’t wink—a flutter of one eye may cause a tear in the other.
6. Don’t smile at flirtatious strangers—save them for people you know.
7. Don’t annex all the men you can get—by flirting with many, you may lose out on the one.
8. Don’t fall for the slick, dandified cake eater—the unpolished gold of a real man is worth more than the gloss of a lounge lizard.
9. Don’t let elderly men with an eye to a flirtation pat you on the shoulder and take a fatherly interest in you. Those are usually the kind who want to forget they are fathers.
10. Don’t ignore the man you are sure of while you flirt with another. When you return to the first one you may find him gone.
The ladies attempted to take this a step further, and launched an “Anti-Flirt” week, which began on March 4, 1923. Unfortunately, it was the first, and only since.
Some sound advice that made me smile and nod in agreement, which I believe is still extremely relevant nearly 100 years later.
You can also find me on Twitter and Tumblr @suzie81blog, and don’t forget to check out my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/suzie81speaks
Image source: Wikipedia
As a guy I am of course opposed to less flirting from women, but the advice to women in this piece is spot on.
I agree and still so relevant today! I used to enjoy flirting but was completely useless at it!
OMG! I may be a slick, dandefied gake eater!!! Wow! More innocent times, indeed! Great throwback post!
Thanks so much! It made me smile at its innocence and the fact that it’s still relevant today, but for men and women!
“Gake” eater? I meant “cake” of course. i wonder if my Freudian is showing…?
Haha! I enjoy a bit of ‘gake’ myself!
It’s the other way round these days.
Absolutely! Some women I know are incredibly aggressive with men when we’re out!
That sounds like an awesome club! I’d have probably been in it by sheer inability to know how to flirt in the first place.
Haha! You always make me smile! I’m quite inept at flirting and was rubbish at conversation when I was single – once I’ve got past the ‘what’s your name’ I’m lost at anything to say. Thankfully The Bloke isn’t bothered about it – we’ve been together so long we don’t need to!
Where can I sign up?!
Haha! It could be the new revolution!
They look like munters anyway lol
Haha! I’m sure that the men of Washington disagreed if they were harassing them, or they had low standards.
Huh, who knew that I was already a member? 😀
Haha! So that’s what you do in your free time 😜
Interesting! I had never heard of it. Good post. 🙂
Thank you! It was featured in a book of lists that I recently received and I found it really interesting!
This is interesting; some of the points are very in line with modern feminism while others seem to shame women for having any sense of their own sexuality. I’m not in the “anti-flirt club” by any means but I could probably do it a bit more thoughtfully.
I love the fact that it is very applicable to today’s views on feminism and it focuses on women’s behaviour rather than just the men… Thanks so much for your comment!
A “hair-pulling match?” Which is what, exactly? Thoughts of this will probably occupy my entire day.
I have images of a very civilised cat fight…
Reblogged this on thefword0.
Hey, that’s cool! I want to be a part of the Anti-Flirt Club of 2015. 🙂 I think it’d be a good way to avoid the creepers.
What bugs me is when men older than me flirt with women who are 18-twenties. I cringe when I see that happen. I never want to be like that. The last time i shamelessly flirted was when I met my now wife for the first time.
Aww that’s really sweet!