It’s been all doom and gloom here lately, so I thought I would take the opportunity to adopt my inner Monty Python, look on the bright side of life and think about the things that make me happy:
1. Running. I haven’t been for a while, but I always enjoy being able to run around the park with some sort of heavy metal music blasting in my ears.
2. Surprise gestures. Lots of people I know dislike surprises, but I love them – I often receive little surprises from my nearest and dearest and they always make my day!
3. Spontaneity. An unplanned evening often turns out to the most interesting.
4. Succeeding at something that I almost believed that I was unable to do. Similarly, I’m also happy when I witness other doing this too.
5. Gut chords. This may sound a little graphic, and as a music teacher I can categorically state that this is not a specialist musical term, but it is the way that I have always described the feeling that I get from certain chords and harmonies in my favourite pieces of music – it’s so powerful that I physically feel it in my gut. These can be found in everything from the choruses of 80’s classic rock songs to the high strings in Barber’s Adagio for Strings and regardless of the day that I have had they never fail to cheer me up.
6. A day spent with the family. Were were estranged for years and now we have resolved our differences we can spend time together in the way that families should.
7. Witnessing good things happen to good people.
8. Taking a photograph of something beautiful. I take my phone and camera everywhere and have thousands of images of interesting places and happy memories.
9. The discovery of somewhere new. I love exploring new places and it’s always exciting to stumble upon somewhere that is beautiful and interesting.
10. The discovery of someone new. It’s always great to make new friends and I love the process of finding out somebody’s story.
11. A handwritten letter in the post. One of my oldest friends and I used to write letters to each other all the time when we were at university. Thinking about it has inspired me to write one this weekend.
12. Long, hot bubble baths, with a good music playlist in the background.
13. Beautiful food, a well-mixed cocktail and good conversation with lovely friends.
14. My little friends. For the last ten years they have been with me through everything, and they never fail to make me smile.
15. Climbing into a freshly laundered bed at the end of a long, stressful day.
16. Finishing a blog post and pressing the ‘publish’ button. Even after two years of blogging I still get a little kick each time I do this.
17. Dessert. Chocolate fondant, Creme Brûlée, Chocolate and Banana Crepes, my friend’s cupcakes… Yum.
18. Visiting a place that I have only seen in movies and on TV. Standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial is one of the highlights of my life so far.
19. Dancing with friends. Unfortunately, most of my dance moves resemble that of a frog in a blender, but a night spent dancing with friends is always a good one.
20. Reading a book that inspires me to be a better person.
21. Him. My partner in crime. My lobster (although, in this picture, it’s me who appears to be taking on the role after a day in the sun…). My rock.
What about you guys? What makes you happy?
You can also find me on Twitter and Tumblr @suzie81blog and don’t forget to check out my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/suzie81speaks , my Pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/suzie81speaks and my Instagram page http://www.instagram.com/suzie81speaks