I love the idea of dating, even when a relationship is established. The Bloke and I have been together for six years, but we still enjoy planning and going on date nights – mainly because it gives us purposeful time to spend together and something special to look forward to.
The following list is a set of ideas that can be mixed and matched together to suit you and your own tastes, and don’t involve Netflix (or chill). They don’t have to involve spending a lot of money, or be done during the evenings – many are perfect for during the day too!
1. Find the recipes for your favourite foods and create a formal, three course meal from scratch (with advanced planning, ingredients can be obtained from low-cost supermarkets and farmers markets). Put on some nice music, light some candles and turn off your phones.
2. Build a (safe) fire in the back yard, snuggle up under some blankets and roast some marshmallows.
3. Go for an unplanned drive until you find something interesting (but take your sat nav or a map just in case!)
4. Create a homemade spa, complete with a bubble bath, face masks, pedicures and nice-smelling oils for massages. Treat each other.
5. Buy a selection of food from the local market, create a picnic and eat it while sitting on blankets in the park.
6. Go to a flea market or vintage market, give yourselves a budget of £5.00 each and see who can find the best item for that amount or less.
7. Find a local pub quiz and enter it as a couple. Create a witty team name.
8. Go for a walk without direction or purpose. Just walk. Hold hands while doing so.
9. Choose a film that you haven’t seen in a long time, then watch it while eating your favourite snacks.
10. Find an interesting view, or great architecture, or colourful graffiti and take pictures with your cameras.
11. Go out just for dessert and a cocktail.
12. Participate in a Colour Run, or a Zombie Walk.
13. Choose a town or city that you have never been to and visit for the day. You can save money on cheap travel fare if you book specific tickets in advance, and you could create a list of unusual things to see and do while you’re there.
14. Games night. Whether it’s just the two of you, or as part of a double date with another couple, many happy hours can be spent playing retro board games. The Bloke and I once had a game of Monopoly that lasted about three hours. I won.
15. Exercise. Swim, run, play badminton or tennis, go to the gym, attend a yoga class. Work up a sweat together and enjoy the endorphin rush. Many places offer introductory sporting sessions and taster classes.
16. Look for different festivals/outdoor cinema screenings/museum exhibitions in your local area. There are often opportunities for free or discounted tickets if you go at specified times.
17. Re-watch an old TV series from the beginning. The Bloke and I have done this with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and will do this at some point with Californication and Chuck.
18. Surprise your partner. Give them no information other than what they should wear, and then take them to see a musical, or a play, or out for a nice meal.
19. Give each other a makeover. There’s lots of YouTube videos of couples doing each other’s make-up, and it’s a lot more fun than it sounds!
20. Attend a launch/tester night for a new cocktail bar or restaurant. The Bloke and I love doing this, and having a blog certainly helps with securing invites! However, even if you don’t have one, you can contact owners and event planners via Twitter or Facebook.
21. Go to a local comedy night. Some comedy clubs have cheap tickets for nights that host amateurs, or professionals that are trying out new material for research.
22. If you’re lucky enough to live near the beach, spend the day laying around in the sand. If there’s a pier, waste some small change in the slot machines. Nothing more exciting than 2p machines.
23. Take a class together – art, cooking, photography, writing, dance… Find a mutual interest and indulge in it together.
24. For those of you that enjoy singing, go to karaoke, or an open mic night.
25. Go to your local library and choose a book for each other that you think you’ll both enjoy.
What about you guys? Have you got any interesting date ideas? What’s the best date you’ve ever been on?
You can also find me on Twitter and Tumblr @suzie81blog, and don’t forget to check out my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/suzie81speaks, my Pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/suzie81speaks and my Instagram page http://www.instagram.com/suzie81speaks.
Some great ideas, you’ve inspired me to give them a go.
Thanks Rosie – let me know which ones you try!
Thanks my lovely!
It’s still great advice Suzie!
Some really lovely date ideas here! Number 2 is cute! ❤️ I often struggle to come up with good date night ideas, we tend to fall into the same old routine. I’ll try some of these and I’ll report back 🙂
Thanks Amanda! Sorry abou the late reply – you were in my spam folder for some reason? Gutted I didn’t get more chance to talk to you at the bash!
That okay. I’ve been having “spam box” issues on my blog too. I have to check it all the time these days (for stragglers!)
I’m really gutted too! It was all a bit rushed. I would have liked to stay longer. Next year I’ll make a beeline for you!
These are great! My husband and I have a lot of fun cooking together. We rarely go out to eat, between the two of us we can cook almost everything.
That’s great! We have a really small kitchen so i usually do the cooking and he does the washing up (because I hate it haha!). What’s your favourite thing to make together?
I think the most fun is when we try a new and challenging recipe. Also, I dislike chopping onions and he doesn’t mind so that’s always his job!
Haha! I’m a lot quicker and chopping and general cooking prep than he is so I end up getting frustrated…
Cooking together is always a great date night. You might enjoy these post
Know of a young couple who once a month go on date night, currently working through the alphabet, place, food & activity ie Aberdeen, apple sourz & arts.They post it on Instagram and it looks so lovely the thought they put into it.
That’s such a great idea!!!
Oh wow. I really really love this idea! We try to plan weekly date nights but they usually fall apart as life gets in the way, but monthly might be a bit more doable. The alphabet plan is super fun and cool 🙂
Love the idea of going out for dessert and cocktails 🙂 Great list!
Thanks Lucy – I tend to have the cocktails though as he doesn’t drink haha!
It’s a good idea to earmark time to spend together. Not that I’ve ever done it, mind you, but it’s a good idea 🙂
It gives us things to look forward to, which helps if work has been a little tough…
magic, brilliant, love it, printed out the list, thank you, kudos, kisses
Thank you! Glad you liked it!
#6 is my favourite thing to do!
I haven’t been to a flea market in ages!
aww, this was lovely. I adore this post. think I will have to give some a go 😀
Let me know which ones you do Sacha!
I love the fact that a lot of these cost either very little or nothing. Definitely pinning for the weekends we can’t think of anything to do!
Thank you! The Bloke and I have genuinely done a lot of these when we’re short on cash
We don’t go out often but we date at home. Movie night, meals we cook for each other. Just being together. Kids included and sometimes they sneak off to give us some time. I think it’s amazing of them that they realize we happily take a moment or two just the two of us. Love your list!
Thank you, and please forgive the late reply! That all sounds lovely!
Oh no worries! You are busy 😉
Fab ideas. We do a lot of these. As time permits, we try to duck out for a drink and dessert. Also, I’ve lost count of how many times we’ve watched Buffy. 🙂
Hi Sarah, I’m soooooo sorry for the late reply! What’s your favourite Buffy episode?
Never apologize for a late reply. 🙂 (At least to me.)
Oh my gosh, really? Favorite episode? How long do you have? Um… Tabula Rasa, A New Man, Once More With Feeling (of course), Pangs, Smashed, Wrecked, Band Candy…pretty much any episode with Juliet Landau and/or James Marsters in it. ❤
Ooh Once More With Feeling! Loooooove that! I still have a crush on Spike…
Some great ideas!!!
Love these ideas! July 2017 will be the 30 year mark for hubby and I being together (October 2019 will be the 30th wedding anniversary), and we’ve done a number of these. Years ago, a (sadly) short lived business popped up in our area called, “Room Service.” You called and placed your order, then a delivery person wearing typical high class restaurant garb (black pants, white shirt kind of stuff) showed up, set your table, and unpacked the food for you. We splurged for Valentine’s Day that year, and it was lovely, but extremely expensive (and by the time all was said and done, the food was cold).
Oh, and I’d add in to the library idea that reading aloud to each other is pretty cool as well. 🙂
Congratulations! What are your plans for your anniversary?
I like the idea – I’m not keen about people being in my house though haha!
Haven’t thought that far ahead, honestly. LOL! And I hear you on the people thing – in a perfect world, food deliveries would appear on my table with the touch of a button. *grin*
Yes! Like via one of the Star Trek transporter type things…
Great tips, Suzy! Thanks for sharing!
Love these ideas! My husband would love the one where we just get in our vehicle and drive. He’s always wanting to take weird routes and meander. I’m usually the one telling him to just get to where we’re going. lol I’ll have to suggest this one, he’ll love it. Thanks for the ideas!
Ooh let me know if you do anything random!
Pingback: 40+ Useful Ideas for Self Care | Suzie Speaks
I have been with boyfriend for over 4 years, I can’t remember the last time we went on a ‘date’! I love how all your ideas don’t cost mush money or none at all 🙂
Thank you! It helps to keep things inexpensive and then it doesn’t feel like a big deal…
Loved these. Done them. Will do again. Back when we first moved up, Neil and I waited for Isla to sleep and then we sat outside the front door looking at the stars for hours.
That sounds so romantic!
Regarding point 12 Suzie, it’s always important to find out how your other half looks like as a zombie…
Oh my gosh yes… I keep trying to tell him that he needs to participate in the next one!
These are great ideas. My husband and I have been married 26 years and we still enjoy going out on dates, but we sometimes get in a rut of eating out as our main activity. Last week as we finished our meal I suggested we see if there were play tickets available at our local theater and even though we were 15minutes late we had a blast seeing ‘The Full Monty.’ It was so fun to change things up and do something spontaneous.
Ooh I love the spontaneous side of it! It’s so nice when your partner is your friend and you can make snap decisions about what you want to do…
Great ideas! I will definitely be using some of these in the near future! 🙂
This is wonderful and I’m so happy you have such a wonderful relationship. You are so lucky. There’s a few here that I think are really wonderful, let’s see how it goes down with a 20 year relationship 😉
Haha! Thank you! Which ones appeal to you?
These are great ideas, Suzie! I’ll have to find a date first though 😉
Hahaha! Let me know how you get on!
Love these ideas! Especially the zombie walk. Is that an arranged thing? Like are other people involved? Or do you just go out and pretend to be a zombie (*pictures the scene in Shaun of the Dead where they all practise acting like a zombie*)?
Hahah! They have them all over the UK at various points throughout the year – it’s a really fun experience to see everyone in costume!
Love all these ideas. My husband and I like to do afternoon movie dates. We usually get a discounted tickets because it’s before 4pm.
We go on a Sunday morning when the tickets are cheaper – always something fun to loo, forward to!
Love some of these ideas. This will make me sound like a total geek, but a “date night” that we do is puzzle night! We do a puzzle whilst drinking gin & eating crap and genuinely have a great time! You can chat whilst you do it, so it’s always nice. We have no babysitters available so we have to find our entertainment where we can haha x
Ooh we haven’t done a date night since I thrashed him at monopoly! Perhaps it’s time to get the board out again…
Some great suggestions here. I particularly like the pub quiz one and picnic in the park (anything involving food is good for me)! 🙂
Haha! Me too!
Great list! My husband and I have been married for 27 (and a HALF, LOL) years and we go on a date night every Friday. 🙂
That’s so lovely – congratulations! Where do you go on date night?
You can tell I’m a bloke – I’d never have thought of any of them. Only been married for 18 months too! Shame on me. I do find though that the best times tend to happen spontaneously, so some of the less ‘planned’ ideas would work for me 😀
Can’t go wrong with a bit of spontaneity – the spontaneous times are often so much more fun than the planned ones!
These are some great ideas. My husband and I like to take drives on Sunday. We are trying to see a different castle each time we go. We also go for Eis more often that I should admit 🙂
Ooh castles… There’s quite a few near where we live and we’ve been to some (we got engaged outside one in Scotland), but it’s definitely on our list to go and visit some more!
Since I am from America, I am a bit obsessed with castles. Getting engaged outside a castle in Scotland sounds like the most beautiful thing to me! So wonderful!!
Haha! Check out Dunnotar Castle on the east coast of Scotland – we were on the cliff top… The boy done good!
I’ve read the list before, but enjoyed being reminded of a few choice bits. One activity my husband and i recently discovered we like to do together is putting together a puzzle! I know it’s super nerdy, but its fun!
That’s always fun if you’re both in the same mind frame – I know so many couples that would end up bickering!
Dessert and cocktails love that date idea. If I had a choice steak or cheesecake. Cheesecake would win everytime.
Ooh I’m definitely stuck between the two for choice there… Can I have both?
Sure!lol Funny thing is I ended up having steak last night no cheesecake. Bummer lol
Three cheers for date night, my favorite night of the week! 🙂
Haha! Mine too!
These are such great ideas! I’ve become terrible at planning. Usually, on a Friday night, Danny and I look at each other and ask, “You want to go to the mountains?” Ha! We are so last minute.
Hahaha! We don’t have to options of mountains (jealous) but your pictures always inspire us to go to national parks…
Thank you! And you have such great historical villages and London to explore.
Absolutely – The Bloke and I go down to London a few times a year – it’s our favourite place!
I love that my hubby and I already do many of these! Great list!
Aww that’s lovely! What’s your favourite things to do?
Some great ideas on this list, Suzie. Now I just need a bloke! Haha… Actually I might have to just start doing these with my sister-carer lol…
Hahaha! And why not! I do some of these on my own too!
Thank you for this list. My husband and I have been in a rut lately with regards to date night so we will have to do a few of these.
Ooh let me know how you get on!
Well, as I type this, we are completely kidless till Sunday. But we are in our P.J’s, he is watching basketball and I am blogging. Maybe we’ll do the date thing tomorrow???
Fantastically creative ideas! I like the flea market one in particular – both my wife and I are pretty competitive haha.
I looooove a good flea market
Love all these, especially toasting marshmallows outside, cuddled under a blanket. You guys must have a wonderful marriage to come up with such lovely ideas. Congratulations.
Thank you! Yeah… he’s alright 😜
Awww 😍 I have hearts in my eyes! I think my guy and I need to spend more *quality* time together and these ideas are great. I especially like the library one and the market/picnic one too. Have bookmarked – THANK YOU :).
Out of the 25 date ideas, my husband and I have tried 5 of them. I love the ideas that you have listed! We have been so busy for the past couple of months that we haven’t had any time for us. I think I’m going to try the unplanned drive next. Sounds like an adventure right up our alley. Thanks!!! 😊🚗
Ooh let me know how you get on!
Pingback: How to Create Evergreen Blog Content | Suzie Speaks