When I first left my job to become self-employed I created a Bucket List. Some of it consisted of small goals that were designed to push myself forward in my new career path, while others were seemingly far more outrageous and frivolous at the time, being included in a ‘pipe dream’ section at the end.
Rather unexpectedly I managed to complete the entire list, with the final item being ticked off after I had the chance to meet Dolph Lundgren – my ultimate celebrity crush of 30+ years – in December 2017. However, since then I haven’t really focused on major goals, instead choosing to go from day to day with little direction other than getting through the month ahead.
In November I turned 38 and so I decided that I would create a 40 Before 40 Bucket List – 40 things to see, do and achieve before I turn 40 years old – in which I have just under two years to complete. I’ve seen quite a few of them online and after a period of time of feeling like I have little direction this seemed like the perfect solution: acknowledge what I want to do… and do it. By putting it in a public forum I am making myself accountable to not only myself, but for those who read and follow Suzie Speaks regularly.
Like my initial Bucket List, some of the items on the list are small and exist as a ‘just because,’ while others are much larger and seemingly out of reach at the time of writing. Additionally, some of the items I have decided to keep as ‘private’ as they are more personal, but I will acknowledge them on the blog as and when I achieve them.
My 40 Before 40 Bucket List
2. Visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney, Florida. Both The Bloke and I are huge Star Wars fans and I can’t imagine how excited he will be.
3. Reach my goal weight. I’m not interested in being skinny, but I want to feel good and not have issues when attempting to buy new clothes. I’ve already made a good start with the regular aerobics classes.
6. Visit Neuschwanstein Castle. It’s an absolutely stunningly beautifully place – there may be tears.
7. See the Grand Canyon. There may be more tears.
8. Raise money for charity. In 2015 I raised money for Dementia UK by running the Birmingham half-marathon. I want to do something similar: create a project and raise money for a charity from it.
9. Declutter, tidy and organise every aspect of my home. It’s been an ongoing series of battles with decluttering and tidying my home, but I want to reach my 40th with different habits and less things.
10. Host a dinner party. Always wanted to, never have.
11. Wear the little black dress on a night out. On my 30th birthday I wore an absolutely gorgeous strapless black dress. I haven’t been able to fit into it in years.
12. Help with wildlife conservation.
13. Donate regularly to a food bank. It’s an unfortunate fact that more and more people are turning to food banks to help feed their family. I want to help.
14. Have Afternoon Tea at Sketch in London. An indulgence, but it looks incredible.
15. See Stonehenge.
16. Visit Bath.
17. Visit the Eden Project.
18. Create a reading list… and read them! I used to read every night, but as I now spend a large amount of time reading and writing online, my reading habits are severely lacking. I haven’t actually read a book properly in over a year.
19. Have a weekend in Bibury. We attended a wedding there a few years ago, and it’s a beautiful place!
20. Visit Eilean Donan Castle.
21. Watch every film in the Marvel Universe in order.
22. Attend a cooking / baking class. I can follow a recipe (with mixed results) but I would like someone to show me how to do something properly.
23. Spend a weekend at the beach.
24. Research and trace Grandma’s family tree. I’ve already made a start on this, but I want to have a comprehensive background like I have for my Grandad.
25. Visit Grandad and Emily’s resting place. I traced his family history a few years ago and found his birth mother. It turns out that they are buried near each other in the same cemetery. I’ve never visited either.
26. Make something in a pottery class.
28. Be able to touch my toes. Because, why not?
29. Learn all the words to One Week by Barenaked Ladies. Bonus points for performing it at karaoke.
30. Go axe throwing.
31. Visit Hampton Court Palace.
32. See Highgate Cemetery.
34. Pay my respects at Auschwitz.
36. Break through the negative thought process. I’ve been doing some CBT training and it has started to really help, but I want to be more conscious of the negative patterns in my daily thought processes and try to stop them before they spiral.
37. Have lunch at the top of the Shard.
38. Visit the Sky Garden.
39. See Klimt’s ‘The Kiss’ in person.
What about you guys? Have you got a list of goals that you want to achieve?
You can also find me on Twitter @suzie81blog, and don’t forget to check out my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/suzie81speaks, my Pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/suzie81speaks and my Instagram page http://www.instagram.com/suzie81speaks.